Fort Hill clobbers Capital Christian, 56-13
Swan, Powell part of 11 rushers to gain over 300 yards;
Appel ties Calhoun for second winningest coach

Sep 29, 2018

CUMBERLAND — Carter Swan scored three touchdowns and 11 ballcarriers combined for over 300 yards rushing to lead undefeated Fort Hill to a 56-13 win over Capital Christian Saturday afternoon at Greenway Avenue Stadium.

The win is the Sentinels' fourth in four games, and sets up Friday's area showdown at Southern, the Rams having improved to 4-1 yesterday with a 47-7 win at East Hardy.

The win is also the 122nd in the career of Fort Hill head coach Todd Appel, tying him with his former coach, Mike Calhoun, as the second-winningest coach in Fort Hill history. Since 2008, Appel's teams have gone 122-14 for a winning percentage of .897. Calhoun's teams were 122-31 from 1986 through '98. Charlie Lattimer remains the winningest football coach in Fort Hill history with a record of 157-40-4 from 1959 through '78.

Swan carried the ball seven times, all in the first half for 55 yards. Tyreke Powell was the Sentinels leading rusher, also being used exclusively in the first half, with 85 yards on six carries. Nick Lamb gained 70 yards on 10 carries.

Fort Hill quarterback Blake Beal was 3 for 3 passing for 70 yards and a touchdown, while Walker Appel threw for a touchdown and ran for one.

The Sentinels' defense forced a three and out to start the game then took over at the Red Storm 43 and went right to fullback Swan, who gained 10 on first, seven on second and 16 on third to put the ball at the five. With 10:17 left in the first quarter, Swan went in for the touchdown and Danny King's kick made it 7-0.

Fort Hill needed just four plays and 31 seconds to cover 60 yards on its second drive. Braedon Askins started it with a sweep left for 12, and Powell went for 18 yards to put the ball on the 25. After a penalty and an Askins gain, quarterback Beal found Anthony Smith open across the middle for the 20-yard touchdown with 8:56 left in the first.

The Red Storm began to move the ball, taking it 80 yards on 11 plays to score, taking advantage of three big penalties on the Sentinels, roughing the punter and two pass interference calls. On the 11th play, Quintin Colbert went in from four yards out at 2:45 of the first, with the kick making it 14-7.

The Sentinels' Swan then picked up the short kickoff and bulled straight ahead for a return of 32 yards to put the ball at Red Storm 42. After Powell picked up 32 yards on the sweep, Swan took it into the end zone from five yards out with 1:21 left in the first.

The Sentinels forced another three-and-out and, after a 10-yard punt, took over at the Red Storm 29. Fort Hill went to Powell, who picked up 24 yards on a reverse to put the ball on the one. A play and a penalty later, Swan went in from eight yards out with 9:58 left in the half.

The Sentinels got the ball right back, this time at the Red Storm 49, and didn't take long to score again. Lamb gained 15 on first down and Beal connected with Jayden Haines for a gain of 25 on the second play. Two plays later, it was Haines scoring from seven yards out with 6:53 left in the half.

The next possession was only two plays after the Sentinels took over at the Red Storm 36. Beal hit Smith for 24 yards on the first play, and Colby Santmyire took it in from the 12 with 5:27 left in the half.

Smith's punt return for a touchdown was called back by penalty, and the Sentinels took over at their 48. Quarterback Appel carried twice for gains, and after a facemask penalty on Capital, gave the ball to Lamb, who burst through for 28 yards to the seven.

After another Lamb carry picked up five before Appel scored from the two with 33 seconds left in the half.

The Sentinels opened the second half to a running clock and with a seven-play scoring drive. Lamb and Davian Little opened with gains, and after a pair of penalties, Darius Younger gained 14 to the 28. Two Lamb carries later, Appel found Little for the 23-yard touchdown pass approaching the 4:00 mark of the third quarter.

On the final play of the third quarter, Capital Christian's Colbert went 14 yards for a touchdown. The kick for conversion was blocked.